Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] [hwloc-announce] Hardware locality (hwloc) v1.1rc1 released
From: Jirka Hladky (jhladky_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-11 08:50:41

On Thursday, November 11, 2010 01:43:38 pm Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Jirka Hladky, le Thu 11 Nov 2010 13:36:46 +0100, a écrit :
> > > hwloc_get_membind failed (errno 38 Function not implemented)
> >
> > Yes, you are right!
> > --get --pid
> > works on Linux.
> >
> > --get --membind --pid
> > will give "Function not implemented"
> >
> > $ /tmp/hwloc-1.1rc2/utils/hwloc-bind --get --membind --pid 344
> > hwloc_get_membind failed (errno 38 Function not implemented)
> >
> > > It actually depends on the OS. I'll see what I can.
> >
> > I see. It's getting difficult then. I believe that in this case more
> > explanatory error message would be enough.
>
> Mmm, to me
>
> hwloc_get_membind failed (errno 38 Function not implemented)
>
> is already self-explanatory actually. Do you see how could it be improved?
>
> Samuel

Hi Samuel,

you can say that

"On this system function XYZ is not supported by GLIBC/KERNEL)"

I'm missing the information:

-which function is not implemented
-where this function belong - is it system call, glibc or hwloc's function?

Or perhaps something more user friendly like
"On this system --get does not work together with --membind"

It's just my personal opinion.

Thanks
Jirka