Subject: [hwloc-devel] 1.1 .so version number
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-08 09:38:05

Short version:
--------------

I have not looked closely -- I *think* APIs have been added and changed since v1.0. As such, I *think* the libtool .so version number for 1.1 should be 1:0:0.

Can someone verify?

Note that this means that applications linked against hwloc 1.0.x will not be able to upgrade to hwloc 1.1 without a recompile/relink.

More details:
-------------

If we assume the last version number of the 1.0 series will be 0:2:0, per Libtool .so versioning guidelines here:

http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Libtool-versioning.html#Libtool-versioning

and

http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Updating-version-info.html#Updating-version-info

The following rules apply:

- If the library source code has changed at all since the last update, then increment revision (‘c :r :a ’ becomes ‘c :r + 1:a ’).
  --> takes us to 0:3:0

- If any interfaces have been added, removed, or changed since the last update, increment current, and set revision to 0.
  --> takes us to 1:0:0

- If any interfaces have been added since the last public release, then increment age.
  --> takes us to 1:0:1

- If any interfaces have been removed or changed since the last public release, then set
age to 0.
  --> takes us back to 1:0:0

The last one is what I'm not sure about, but what I'm inferring from Samuel's statement about "API breaks".

For corporate legal information go to: