Subject: [hwloc-devel] 1.0.3 .so version number
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-08 09:17:37

Short version:
--------------

According to Libtool docs, I think the 1.0.3 .so version number should be 0:2:0.

Can someone verify/sanity check this?

More details:
-------------

Here's a Trac colorized diff between the 1.0 branch from r2349 and the current HEAD:

https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/hwloc/changeset?old_path=/branches/v1.0&old=2349&new_path=/branches/v1.0&new=HEAD):

The only interface change I see is this:

-hwloc_linux_set_tid_cpubind(hwloc_topology_t topology __hwloc_attribute_unused, pid_t tid, hwloc_const_cpuset_t hwloc_set)
+hwloc_linux_set_tid_cpubind(hwloc_topology_t topology __hwloc_attribute_unused, pid_t tid __hwloc_attribute_unused, hwloc_const_cpuset_t hwloc_set __hwloc_attribute_unused)

Which I don't believe impacts shared library linking (i.e., if an app used hwloc_linux_set_tid_cpubind() and compiled against hwloc 1.0.2, I believe it would still link successfully against the 1.0.3 libhwloc. As such, I believe that this is a non-event, in terms of shared library versioning.

So according to the Libtool .so versioning instructions:

http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Libtool-versioning.html#Libtool-versioning

and

http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Updating-version-info.html#Updating-version-info

I believe the version number should be 0:2:0.

For corporate legal information go to: