Subject: [hwloc-devel] 1.0.3 .so version number
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-08 09:17:37

Short version:

According to Libtool docs, I think the 1.0.3 .so version number should be 0:2:0.

Can someone verify/sanity check this?

More details:

Here's a Trac colorized diff between the 1.0 branch from r2349 and the current HEAD:

The only interface change I see is this:

-hwloc_linux_set_tid_cpubind(hwloc_topology_t topology __hwloc_attribute_unused, pid_t tid, hwloc_const_cpuset_t hwloc_set)
+hwloc_linux_set_tid_cpubind(hwloc_topology_t topology __hwloc_attribute_unused, pid_t tid __hwloc_attribute_unused, hwloc_const_cpuset_t hwloc_set __hwloc_attribute_unused)

Which I don't believe impacts shared library linking (i.e., if an app used hwloc_linux_set_tid_cpubind() and compiled against hwloc 1.0.2, I believe it would still link successfully against the 1.0.3 libhwloc. As such, I believe that this is a non-event, in terms of shared library versioning.

So according to the Libtool .so versioning instructions:

I believe the version number should be 0:2:0.

Jeff Squyres
For corporate legal information go to: