Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] How to get information about hwloc objects?
From: Jirka Hladky (jhladky_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-07 05:15:19

On Monday, July 05, 2010 07:04:22 am Brice Goglin wrote:
> Le 05/07/2010 02:06, Jirka Hladky a écrit :
> > I need to get NUMAnode since I'm comparing numactl and taskset commands.
>
> --pulist and --nodelist were designed for when you need to pass the
> result to numactl

I'm already using these:-)

I have also seen you recent change:
==========================
    --list <type|depth>
and replaces
    --nodelist with --list numanode (still supported but undocumented)
It should work for core and socket as well.
==========================

I have downloaded hwloc-1.1a1r2290.tar.bz2 but apparently the modification is
not there yet. If I get right you have implemented following, right?

hwloc-calc --list numanode --physical proc:0
=> Should give NUMAnode to which proc:0 belongs.

hwloc-calc --list socket --physical proc:0
=> Should give Socket to which proc:0 belongs.

hwloc-calc --list core --physical proc:0
=> Should give Socket to which proc:0 belongs.

That's would be terrific! Please let me know in which nightly build will it be
included.

I have few suggestions regarding error handling in hwloc-calc 1.0.1:
hwloc-calc --nodelist --physical proc:0
=> gives nothing back on systems without NUMA. I would expect some sort of
error message on stderr.

hwloc-calc --nodelist --physical proc:120
=>gives nothing back. On that system, there is NUMA but only 64 processors. I
would expect error message "proc:120 does not exist" reported on stderr.

Thanks a lot!
Jirka