Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] [hwloc-svn] svn:hwloc r1986
From: Samuel Thibault (samuel.thibault_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-21 12:26:43

Jeff Squyres, le Wed 21 Apr 2010 09:04:11 -0400, a écrit :
> On Apr 21, 2010, at 8:47 AM, Bert Wesarg wrote:
>
> > From that page:
> >
> > If you are writing a header file that must work when included in
> > ISO C programs, write __typeof__ instead of typeof. See Alternate
> > Keywords.
> >
> > > Modified: trunk/src/topology.c
> >
> > That does not look like a header for me.
>
> Right, but gcc complained when used with -std=c99 unless it was __typeof__. I did not check to see if icc or pgcc accepted typeof. I read that text to be "if you want portable code, use __typeof__ instead of typeof."

Err, putting underscores doesn't magically makes something recognized by
compilers :)

The reason why the documentation tells about headers and not .c files is
that while you control which standard your .c files are compiled under
(e.g. -std=c99), you do not control which standard your .h files will be
compiled under by other applications, that's why you need a way to tell
a compiler "don't complain about these extensions I know you support but
warn about because you were given -std=c99).

Here, typeof is not c99, and that's why gcc complains when given
-std=c99 (instead of the default -std=gnu99). Putting underscores just
hides the bug...

Samuel