Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] rc1?
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-03 18:32:24

Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Brice Goglin, le Thu 01 Apr 2010 19:13:23 +0200, a écrit :
>
>> Jeff Squyres wrote:
>>
>>> There have been a few commits today -- are we ready for rc1? Give me the word and I'll make it. :-)
>>>
>> I am done now (r1895).
>>

> I'd like to fix the MISC objects so they are not ignored.

I don't like where we're going with Misc objects. I don't see why
"regular" Misc objects (those added by OS backends) should be
handled/ignored differently just because "user-added" Misc objects have
special requirements. As I said in the past, we're trying to address 2
different issues. I said we could have a "Group" type to replace the
current meaning of "Misc" and keep "Misc" for user-added objects only. A
better solution for backward compatibility would be to keep current
"Misc" objects as is, and change user-added objects to a new type such
as HWLOC_OBJ_USER or CUSTOM. Then only the later needs a quirk in the
ignore code.

By the way, instead of delaying the release while we discuss this and
wait for your fix, we could mark hwloc_topology_insert_misc*() as
experimental or even undocument it for now, release 1.0-rc1, and bring
it back later if/when it's ready.

Brice