Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] comments on API changes
From: Samuel Thibault (samuel.thibault_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-02 10:16:03

Fawzi Mohamed, le Fri 02 Apr 2010 12:34:58 +0200, a écrit :
> flags attributes:
> C bitfields are used, normally they are avoided because they are slow
> (a compiler can bit or at compile time the constants and check/set
> several at once.
> Speed is not a concern here, but in any case I am wrapping to D that
> does not support bitfields directly, so I used flags, I was just
> wondering why bitfields were used...

Mmm, thinking twice about it. As Brice mentioned, this is not really
performance-critical. But since it's not performance-critical, it is
probably not a problem to just use chars here. Also, maybe we can use a
level of pointer to avoid any ABI issue when adding fields?

> HWLOC_OBJ_SYSTEM seems on the way out

It isn't :)

> I treated it just as a MACHINE anyway,

What do you mean by this? They really are not supposed to be the same,
as Brice explained.

Samuel