Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] comments on API changes
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-02 08:49:37

Fawzi Mohamed wrote:
> I would take advantage more info about the possible numa node
> connectivity (to know where to steal tasks), but I don't have access
> to machines that would really take advantage of that, and probably
> even then using the HW structure as topology would not bad.

NUMA connectivity is a big problem. Most x86 machines show nothing
interesting in cat /sys/devices/system/node/node*/distance. On AMD
hypertransport, there are some routing information in lspci, but I think
you have to be root to see it, and I am not even sure it's enough to
discover the actual HT graph.

We have a "measurement-based backend" in the TODO-list. It could be the
only way to find out the NUMA connectivity.

That said, it's not clear that this will be a big problem. AMD
Magny-Cours machines and Nehalem-EX machines with 2-4 sockets have a
fully-interconnected NUMA graph. No problem if we don't have NUMA
topology information there.. For larger machines, SGI is already doing a
good job at reporting NUMA distances in sysfs. What remains is other
large machines (several vendors announced 8-socket Nehalem EX machines).
We'll see.

Brice