Subject: [hwloc-devel] comments on API changes
From: Fawzi Mohamed (fawzi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-02 06:34:58

Hi everybody,

I am updating my D bindings to the latest API.
Some comments in no particular order:

Building tools
rather new autoconf/automake/libtool are requested
I had to install them even on new clusters, nothing terrible, but I
just noted it...

Memory handling:
nice I like it, in my wrappers already had a separate memory struct...
pages info, before there were free pages, now I suppose that the
page_types array might contain several pages, and so also the free
pages, any place to get information about the meaning of the various
page types? or is it still possible to get the free pages?

PU, ok, probably clearer.

detecting current pinning, pinning, mapping os <-> hwloc, has become
nicer

checkout, configure -> HWLOC_DEBUG 1 -> very chatty
it could be that the debug is still considered the default for trunk,
but 1.0 should definitely switch it off by default...

flags attributes:
C bitfields are used, normally they are avoided because they are slow
(a compiler can bit or at compile time the constants and check/set
several at once.
Speed is not a concern here, but in any case I am wrapping to D that
does not support bitfields directly, so I used flags, I was just
wondering why bitfields were used...

father -> parent (politically correct gender neutral :)

HWLOC_OBJ_SYSTEM seems on the way out
I treated it just as a MACHINE anyway, but I wonder, as the constant
is still there, does it have special attributes?, has it machine
attributes? the documentation could be clearer...

I am looking forward to 1.0 ...

ciao
Fawzi