Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] Strange difference
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-26 14:01:43

Jeff Squyres wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2010, at 1:25 PM, Brice Goglin wrote:
>

>> The reason was that the "phys" attribute is mostly useless for anything
>> but Proc and NUMANode.
>>
>> Current other differences when adding -v are:
>> * "Proc" if -v instead of "P"
>>

> I like "Proc" instead of "P" even for the non-v output. :-)

I am not against it, but I don't remember the reason for the initial
change. Maybe because "processor" is confusing for some people (logical
vs physical socket) ?

>> * print local memory size
>>

> Is the Machine memory size supposed to agree between the two outputs, or does the -v output roll up some sizes together?
>
> Machine (3945MB)
> Machine (phys=0 local=4039640KB total=4039640KB)

4039640/1024=3944.96093750000000000000
We divide by 1024 until we find something between 1 and 10000 iirc, and
then we round to the nearest integer.

> I'm obviously good with -v having more information. I guess my reaction was because it wasn't just *more* information -- the *same* information was in a different format, and that struck me as weird.

Don't know :)

Brice