Subject: [hwloc-devel] Change bind API.
From: Bert Wesarg (bert.wesarg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-21 08:31:14

Hi,

as some of you may know, I've once done some work to teach htop a
topology aware affinity setting dialog with the help the PLPA.
Recently Jeff pinged me that hwloc is looking for a topology aware top
like tool too. So I've start looking into the htop and hwloc code
again. What caught my current attention is the circumstance that the
get*cpubind interfaces always allocate a hwloc_cpuset_t. For a
top-like tool, which would like to print the current cpubind set for
each process at avery refresh, there should be only one cpuset_alloc
for the whole lifetime of the process, not for each refresh. Therefore
I would like to propose an interface change for these function, so
that the caller provide the to-be-filled cpuset, to reduce the
alloc/free frequency.

Thanks.

Regards,
Bert