Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] random api questions
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-30 12:17:31

Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Yes, if we weren't wanting to express contradictory things it'd be way
> simpler, but we want to. I don't believe duplicating information will
> help the programmer to understand things. For now, I can see three
> usage cases:
>
> - An application wants to bind itself somewhere. That's what the
> default configuration is meant for.
>
> - A global monitoring application wants to check which processors are
> online/allowed and where applications are running etc. That's what
> the HWLOC_TOPOLOGY_FLAG_WHOLE_SYSTEM flag helps for.

Wait, does WHOLE_SYSTEM also toggle the ignoring of offline_cpus in
obj->cpuset? The documentation doesn't say so, but the code seems to
implement it. That would the best behavior.

By the way, lstopo --whole-system fails on my dual-core machine when
core#1 is offline and debug is enabled:
Propagate total memory up
1853: hwloc__check_children: Assertion
`hwloc_cpuset_iszero(remaining_parent_set)' failed.

Brice