Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] P#0 -> P0 for logical numbers?
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-28 13:28:38

Jeff Squyres wrote:
> On Jan 28, 2010, at 9:05 AM, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>

>> Since we changed the default behavior of lstopo to display logical
>> numbers instead of physical numbers, I've quite a few times taken one
>> for the other, leading to confusion.
>>

> Mmm... good point.
>

>> I agree on the fact that it's
>> better to have coherency, but maybe we could change the output of lstopo
>> to distinguish between physical and logical? I.e. for instance
>>
>> € lstopo -p -
>> Machine(993MB) + Socket#0 + L2(2048KB)
>> L1(32KB) + Core#0 + P#0
>> L1(32KB) + Core#1 + P#1
>> € lstopo -
>> Machine(993MB) + Socket0 + L20(2048KB)
>> L10(32KB) + Core0 + P0
>> L11(32KB) + Core1 + P1
>>

> How about <foo>0p for physical, such as Core0p? The "#" doesn't really mean / connote anything.

I'd vote for just replacing # with another special character such as -
or : or / when displaying logical indexes. Those are not very nice, but
that's the best I have on my keyboard :)

€ lstopo -
Machine(993MB) + Socket0 + L20(2048KB)
  L1:0(32KB) + Core:0 + P0
  L1:1(32KB) + Core:1 + P1

€ lstopo -
Machine(993MB) + Socket0 + L20(2048KB)
  L1-0(32KB) + Core-0 + P0
  L1-1(32KB) + Core-1 + P1

I think it's better to always have a special character between the type
(which sometimes ends with a digit) and the index.

Brice