Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] Crash with ignoring HWLOC_OBJ_NODE in 0.9.2
From: Michael Raymond (mraymond_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-20 09:43:10

  Our architecture has blades with two Nehalems on them, and the blades
are connected together in a CC-NUMA fashion. Each Nehalem shows up as a
Node and the blades show up as Miscs. I plan to use hwloc to facilitate
different patterns for striding the placement of processes.

  In one pattern I might want to place processes on all the Cores in a
Misc and then move to the next Misc. A topology tree that looks like
System -> Misc -> Core makes that easy. Having Nodes in there just adds
unneeded complexity.

  Feel free to come up with a cleaner patch. :)

Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Michael Raymond, le Fri 20 Nov 2009 08:18:53 -0600, a écrit :
>> It looks like I spoke too soon on the fix. That solves the problem
>> but it keeps the Miscs from being created and in some situations I'd
>> like to keep the Miscs but not the nodes.
>
> Oh? In which situation? Can't you just ignore them when parsing the
> tree?
>
> What I don't see is why you would care about the structure that nodes
> provide but not about the nodes themselves. Your patch makes the code
> quite convoluted :)
>
> Samuel

Michael A. Raymond
Message Passing Toolkit Team