Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] towards PLPA-like API in 1.0
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-12 12:56:50

Jeff Squyres wrote:

>> want to
>> PLPA
>> >
>> > Agreed, let's just remove this and tell people to use
>> hwloc_[sg]et_*cpubind.
>>
>> What do you mean by "this"? The whole plpa.h or just
>> hwloc_plpa_sched_getaffinity?
>>

> My $0.02 / 0.01EUR: let's not try to emulate the PLPA API at all
> (i.e., no hwloc_plpa_* functions). Let's just take any good ideas
> that were there and incorporate them into the future of the hwloc API
> as appropriate.

Well, the list of good ideas will be very short then :) Most remaining
functions are about manipulating core and socket ids, we don't need that
at all in hwloc anymore.

My feeling is that converting an application from PLPA's
core_id/socket_id API into the hwloc API will be non-trivial. So at
least the current hwloc_plpa_* functions will be document a bit how to
switch to the hwloc API.

Brice