Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] [hwloc-svn] svn:hwloc r1333
From: Samuel Thibault (samuel.thibault_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-12 11:47:00

Jeff Squyres, le Thu 12 Nov 2009 08:31:50 -0800, a écrit :
> On Nov 11, 2009, at 4:22 PM, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> >- non-linux plpa users are restricted to what really is portable.
> >

> PLPA = Linux only. :-)

I know, but there's usually no reason why they shouldn't now target
non-Linux too. Again, I really wonder how they'd manage to end up with
tids in their hands instead of pthread_t-s.

> >- we don't have to cripple the hwloc interface (i.e. document that we
> > accept non-portable input) just for the linuxish interface.
>
> The PLPA interface for specifying specific PIDs wasn't just for
> threads -- it really was for getting/setting the affinity of other
> processes. E.g., htop uses PLPA for this purpose (htop.sf.net).
>
> Do other OS's not support that?

Some do, some don't. In any case no OS other than Linux mixes thread
IDs and process IDs in their API and thus confuse the user like Linux
does.

Samuel