Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] [hwloc-svn] svn:hwloc r1333
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-12 11:31:50

On Nov 11, 2009, at 4:22 PM, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Another way to go is in hwloc_plpa_sched_setaffinity put in
> #ifdef HWLOC_LINUX_SYS some code that calls the internal
> hwloc_linux_set_tid_cpubind (with a strong comment that nobody else
> should call it), so that
>
> - existing linux plpa users can have the same behavior, but we can
> document here that calling hwloc_plpa_sched_setaffinity with a pid
> different than zero portably means something only for single-
> threaded
> processes.
> - non-linux plpa users are restricted to what really is portable.

PLPA = Linux only. :-)

Per my prior mail, remember that some (many?) apps don't care about
portability.

> - we don't have to cripple the hwloc interface (i.e. document that we
> accept non-portable input) just for the linuxish interface.

The PLPA interface for specifying specific PIDs wasn't just for
threads -- it really was for getting/setting the affinity of other
processes. E.g., htop uses PLPA for this purpose (htop.sf.net).

Do other OS's not support that?