Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] Priority of env vars vs. application options
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-28 09:37:59

On Oct 28, 2009, at 9:29 AM, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> > I would think that the API *only* looks at the names passed as
> > parameters -- command line, env variable, etc. are upper-layer
> > abstractions added by top-level tools like lstopo, etc.
>
> See Brice's case, where it's not the user that provides the xml file,
> but a deployment tool.

Ya, I saw that. For a small tool like the hwloc library, it doesn't
feel right to offer back-door hooks that can circumvent the
application. If an application is buggy, then the application should
be fixed -- it doesn't seem like the right thing to intentionally add
hooks just to accommodate buggy applications. Is that what you're
suggesting, or am I missing the point?