Subject: [hwloc-devel] Priority of env vars vs. application options
From: Samuel Thibault (samuel.thibault_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-27 18:16:58

Hello,

At the moment, the HWLOC_FSROOT and HWLOC_XMLFILE environment variables
override tool options and application configuration. Is it really the
behavior we should have? I'd tend to think that the priority order
should be:

- application options/configuration
- environment variable
- default OS backend.

i.e. basically move the HWLOC_FSROOT/HWLOC_XMLFILE interpretation to
hwloc_topology_init, before the application can override them through
configuration calls. Similarly, HWLOCK_THISSYSTEM would be overriden by
HWLOC_TOPOLOGY_FLAG_IS_THISSYSTEM.

What do people think?
(At least we should probably settle that clearly in the documentation)
(and document these environment variables, I didn't know about
HWLOC_XMLFILE).

Samuel