Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] MPICH2 question
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-21 12:46:38

On Oct 21, 2009, at 10:20 AM, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> I've checked configure, only the check for egrep may fail and does not
> provide any fallback which we could have used. It's only used for the
> documentation generation, Jeff, maybe we can find an alternative to
> egrep for what we use it for?

We use it for running latex (i.e., looking for some warning messages
in the latex output to know if we need to run it again). This could
be coded around and/or removed entirely if desired.

However, I notice that libtool makes extensive use of egrep.
Specifically, even if I remove AC_PROG_EGREP, it's checked for later
in configure and is used a lot by libtool.

I'd be surprised if there's a system out there that doesn't have some
flavor of egrep that satisfies AC_PROG_EGREP (especially if Libtool
uses it heavily). Do we know if this is the case, or is this a
hypothetical that a suitable egrep might not be found?