Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] ibverbs -> not just infiniband!
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-21 08:22:08

On Oct 21, 2009, at 8:10 AM, Brice Goglin wrote:

> Ok :) I think I'd vote for some like ofed-verbs.h then, it'd match the
> existing glibc-sched.h and linux-libnuma.h

Heh. This is even more branding confusion that I think OpenFabrics as
an organization has not done well to clarify...

OpenFabrics Enterprise Distribution (OFED) is a) currently Linux-only,
and b) is a combined release mechanism / software package for several
different upper-level protocols (verbs, UDAPL, MPI, etc.) largely
employing RDMA-based technologies.

The "OFED" software is *not* the same thing as the verbs stack -- it
*includes* the verbs stack. For example, various Linux distros
include the verbs stack and some other RDMA-based packages (such as
Open MPI) but do *not* include OFED itself. OFED is basically
packaging and an installer/uninstaller for a whole bunch of
OpenFabrics-sponsored/related software packages.

For example, if you use the verbs stack on a RHEL distribution, it's
not OFED. It's the verbs that is packaged by RedHat. Same with
SuSE. Same with Debian. Same with ...etc.

So I think the name would be better as of-verbs.h, or openfabrics-
verbs.h, or ...

> I thought verbs already existed on more than Linux actually. What I
> meant is that *our* ibverbs.h code is Linux specific (it uses a sysfs
> specific nice feature of OFED/Linux).

Ah -- I misunderstood.

> If we want to keep this file
> portable, we'll need to port hwloc_ibverbs_get_device_cpuset() to
> non-Linux OS one day, which means we need a #ifdef LINUX in this
> public
> header. However, IIRC our #define LINUX_SYS is internal only so far.

Fair enough -- I have no problems #if LINUX'ing it for this release.
Mebbe someday if/when verbs is officially released on Solaris and
Windows and if we get adventurous enough, we can test on those
platforms and remove the #if LINUX protection. Cool?