Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] ibverbs -> not just infiniband!
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-21 01:30:22

Jeff Squyres wrote:
> I know this is somewhat pedantic, but I'd prefer to rename "ibverbs*"
> to something else. Technically, it's OpenFabrics verbs -- not
> infiniband verbs -- which also includes at least 2 forms of ethernet
> (iWARP and RDMAoE).
>
> (working for an Ethernet-based company, I kinda have to say that :-) )
>
> Does anyone have any objections to me renaming this stuff? I'm open
> to suggestions on names -- e.g., ofverbs.h, or verbs.h, or
> openfabrics-verbs.h, or some-other-even-longer-name-verbs.h, or ...?
> :-)

I named it ibverbs.h because it only works with infiniband/verbs.h
anyway. People will need the later to use it. That's why I like
ibverbs.h (or infiniband-verbs.h but it's very long). Apart from that, I
don't really care. At least the Infiniband name still exists, while
OpenIB/OFED/... is renamed almost every year :)

By the way, this file actually only works for Linux so far. Unless we
are sure we could make it work for non-Linux OS one day (might need the
#ifdef LINUX to work in public headers), we could rename it to
hwloc/linux-...verbs.h

Brice