Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] release status
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-02 16:22:45

On Oct 2, 2009, at 4:16 PM, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> > But it might be worth testing the example I sent before, even with
> > dynamically allocated handles.
>
> Should work perfectly.

I *think* it should, too, but I also thought that pointers to global
instances in the shared library wouldn't incur problems, either.

> > Linkers are deep, dark voodoo with unexpected corner cases in round
> > rooms. :-)
>
> Sure, but linkers don't have anything to do with malloc().

It's not a malloc issue.

I would *expect* that it works, but I don't know for 100% sure. I
always thought that I understood linkers, but I keep running into
whacky corner cases over the years that have convinced me that I don't
understand how they work at all.

It is worth testing before committing to this path, just to *really
really be sure* of the consequences. *If* there is a problem, I'm
sure that casting through a neutral type would resolve the problem
(e.g., if the public handle type was "unsigned long").