Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] structure assumptions, duplication
From: Fawzi Mohamed (fawzi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-30 03:40:50

On 30-set-09, at 09:20, Brice Goglin wrote:

> Fawzi Mohamed wrote:
>> 1) a fully hierarchical representation of the machine/hardware where
>> each level is a partition, and each level fully covers the previous
>> one (from any node you go through all levels using father/childrens,
>> father/child are just one level away from each other.
>
> Actually, we support heterogeneous topologies where one level may not
> cover entirely the previous one, for instance if you have two
> different
> processors with different levels of caches.

thanks that is good to know.
In that case the upper level (let's assume it is a NODE) is still all
at the same level, but the depth of the children of this might be
different from depth-1?
like this (I am skipping some levels, as just the structure is
important):

NODE 1
   cache2
     cache1
       p0
   cache2
     cache1
       p1
NODE 2
     cache1
       p2
     cache1
       p3

or is it even possible to have a node with children of a single node
of different depth?

this is supposing that you want to keep that a level has a single type
(and given the api I suppose it is so).

Fawzi