Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] last API possible changes
From: Samuel Thibault (samuel.thibault_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-21 08:44:18

Jeff Squyres, le Mon 21 Sep 2009 08:22:06 -0400, a écrit :
> FWIW, is there a reason we're not using AC_C_RESTRICT in
> configure.ac? This allows you to use "restrict" in C code everywhere;
> it'll be #defined to something acceptable by the compiler if
> "restrict" itself is not.

Our __hwloc_restrict macro is actually a copy/paste of AC_C_RESTRICT's
tinkering.

The problem is precisely that AC_C_RESTRICT provides "restrict", and
not another keyword, so that using it in installed headers may conflict
with other headers' tinkering about restrict. Yes, configure is meant to
detect such kind of things, but it can not know which variety of headers
the user will want to include from its application, and any of them
could want to define restrict to something else.

Samuel