Open MPI logo

Docs Mailing List Archives

Subject: [OMPI docs] PML add procs failed --> Returned "Unreachable" (-12) instead of "Success" (0)
From: Alessandro Surace (zioalex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-26 10:11:00

Hi Guys,
I'm really new in mpi. I've created a small grid composed of virtual and
real host.
grid01 real/Centos/(Open MPI) 1.2.5
grid03 virtual (xen)/Centos/(Open MPI) 1.2.5
grid04 virtual (vmware)/Centos/(Open MPI) 1.2.5

When I try to run a parallel job like this:
mpirun -v -H grid01,grid04 -np 2 /mnt/ewd/mpi/fibonacci/fibonacci_mpi
The job run

If I try instead
mpirun -v -H grid03,grid04 -np 2 /mnt/ewd/mpi/fibonacci/fibonacci_mpi
or with all 3 nodes I get the error:

It looks like MPI_INIT failed for some reason; your parallel process is
likely to abort. There are many reasons that a parallel process can
fail during MPI_INIT; some of which are due to configuration or environment
problems. This failure appears to be an internal failure; here's some
additional information (which may only be relevant to an Open MPI
developer):

  PML add procs failed
  --> Returned "Unreachable" (-12) instead of "Success" (0)

Seems like there is something wrong between grid03, grid04.
But If I run the job indivdually on every host it runs without problem.

I can't understand what happens.
Any Ideas?
In attach all the details.
But Does Exist a guide / howto configure and setup openmpi (not build) ?

Thanks
Alex