Open MPI logo

Docs Mailing List Archives

Subject: Re: [OMPI docs] wiki account
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-26 09:41:51

On Aug 26, 2008, at 9:36 AM, Fabian Hänsel wrote:

>> Or would you prefer to do this directly on the web site? We have
>> our entire web site in SVN, so those with SVN accounts can actually
>> write to it. There's benefits and drawbacks to both, I suppose.
>> What do you think?
>
> What's the normal way of writing to the wiki? Checking it out locally,
> setting up a server there, allow editing of the wiki via config,
> writing wiki pages, check in back a database dump?

Work on the wiki happens directly on the wiki. We don't try to do any
cloning / distributed wiki work -- we just work directly on the main
wiki itself.

To date, most of the information on the wiki has been for developers,
not end users.

> While that's not challenging it's still work. Direct editing on the
> website seems to be easier and much more suited to write on topics
> from
> various computers at various places (lab, office, home).
>
> More importantly I assume the quality of the result getting better the
> more people can activly contribute by 'agile methods' (fixing
> thereselves what they know better or have better ideas of explaining).
>
> But if the first one ist the normal way of writing docs I'll use that
> workflow.

Well, we really have no workflow here. As such, I think the rule of
"he who implements, wins" applies. :-)

That's what I was asking which you prefer:

1. Work on the wiki, probably creating a whole new section for user docs
2. Work on an SVN checkout of the main web site (requires a PHP-
enabled server for local testing before publishing, etc.), probably
also creating a whole new section for user docs

Cisco Systems