In reference to this critical bug, there are implications for the current 1.3.x release schedule that are alluded to in Jeff's message. In particular, there are two time-critical issues at play:
1) getting a fix for #1853 in time for inclusion for OFED-1.4.1
2) getting in Sun's changes/CMRs in time for their next test/release cycle
Given those two time-constrained goals, we have decided to proceed as follows:
- Sun's desired changes are either already in the 1.3 branch, or the CMRs have already been approved for inclusion
- hold off non-Sun related CMRs until a fix for #1853 is available, hopefully sometime next week
- release this combination as 1.3.2
- the windows functionality will then follow as a separate release: 1.3.3
I know that this, once again, pushes out the windows functionality, but I think that this is necessary in order to get this critical fix in.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jeff Squyres <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 1:34 PM
Subject: [Open MPI Announce] Critical bug notice
To: Open MPI Announcements <firstname.lastname@example.org
>, Open MPI Developers <email@example.com
>, Open MPI Users <firstname.lastname@example.org
The Open MPI team has uncovered a serious bug in Open MPI v1.3.0 and v1.3.1: when running on OpenFabrics-based networks, silent data corruption is possible in some cases. There are two workarounds to avoid the issue -- please see the bug ticket that has been opened about this issue for further details:
We strongly encourage all users who are using Open MPI v1.3.0 and/or v1.3.1 on OpenFabrics-based networks to read this ticket and use one of the workarounds described there.
The Open MPI team is working on a fix; it will be included in the v1.3.2 release. Updates will be posted to the ticket.
announce mailing list