We adhere to the MPI standard, so we expect the user in such an instance to define a datatype that reflects the structure they are trying to send. We will then do the voodoo to correctly send that data in a heterogeneous environment, and pass the data back (in the defined datatype) to the user on the remote end. They can then put the various items back into their structure.

I'm not sure what you mean by an "ideal style language". See the MPI standard or our doc page, for example

http://www.open-mpi.org/doc/v1.6/man3/MPI_Type_create_struct.3.php

for an explanation of how one defines a datatype.

On Nov 4, 2012, at 8:14 PM, Santhosh Kokala <Santhosh.Kokala@riverbed.com> wrote:

Now I get it.

Marshalling the process of taking a collection of data items
and assembling them into a form suitable for transmission in
a message
Unmarshalling is the process of disassembling them on
arrival into an equivalent representation at the destination

Santhosh

From: devel-bounces@open-mpi.org [mailto:devel-bounces@open-mpi.org] On Behalf Of Paul Hargrove
Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2012 8:10 PM
To: Open MPI Developers
Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] About Marshalling and Umarshalling

Santhosh,

I think Ralph wants you to give your definitions for "Marshlling" and "Unmashalling".
Otherwise, it is not clear to him or others exactly what you are asking, because there are multiple possible meanings for those terms.

-Paul

I wanted to know how does OpenMPI achieve marshaling and unmarshalling? If not how does it communicate with various hosts with various architectures?