Subject: [OMPI devel] RFC: namespaces to isolate against code moves
From: Dave Goodell (dgoodell) (dgoodell_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-31 16:28:24

WHAT: Allow reservation of a symbol namespace that is independent of component location.

WHY: All of the framework location/abstraction churn over the years has made it challenging to maintain single source versions of MCA components (e.g., the "usnic" BTL) that work with multiple versions of Open MPI (v1.6, v1.8, v1.9, etc.).

WHEN: Let's talk about this at the next OMPI Engineering call on Tuesday, August 5th.

My current proposal is to use "opal_ns_<NAME>", obviously replacing "_" with any context-appropriate separator and uppercasing as needed. We can track these namespaces by committing a file named "contrib/ns/<NAME>" that contains a short description of why the namespace is reserved and who is managing the namespace.

-Dave