Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] [OMPI svn] svn:open-mpi r32163 - in trunk: opal/mca/base orte/tools/orterun
From: Dave Goodell (dgoodell) (dgoodell_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-16 16:32:41

On Jul 16, 2014, at 3:08 PM, Joshua Ladd <jladd.mlnx_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Ralph warned me that no matter what decision we made, someone would probably violently object. So, with that in mind, let me put my diplomat hat on...

FWIW, I don't think my objections here have been "violent".

> Dave, I'm sorry you view this as a "crapification" of your mpirun user interface. Your lament is duly noted and we are happy to work with you to come to (yet another) happy compromise. It's unfortunate that the issue wasn't raised during the dev meeting when these decisions were made (you were sitting right next to me while I discussed this out loud with Jeff and Ralph.) At the time, it seemed all interested parties had expressed their concern and voiced their opinion on the matter, and the implementation you see in the trunk today, including the decision to deprecate the "-x" option, was the generally agreed upon consensus.

I think I misunderstood that the "-x" option was going away altogether, so sorry for the after-the-fact complaints. Probably poor listening on my part, but I don't think that changes my opinion on the UI impact.

I'm aware that I'm in the minority here. I don't think that I care enough to continue arguing over this, so let's just let it be as-is. An enhancement to permit some form of delimiter escaping would probably still be nice, but is low priority.

-Dave