Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] [OMPI svn] svn:open-mpi r32163 - in trunk: opal/mca/base orte/tools/orterun
From: Dave Goodell (dgoodell) (dgoodell_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-16 14:34:47

On Jul 16, 2014, at 12:15 PM, Mike Dubman <miked_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> we have a strong use-case for list of env variables passed as mca params.(it was presented and discussed in the past).

I'm not disputing your use case for "mca_base_env_list". I'm only lamenting the crapification of our mpirun user interface. We had an earlier change along these lines based on similar reasoning: the easy-to-use-and-remember "--pernode N" was replaced with "--map-by ppr:N:node", which I cannot ever seem to remember.

> we can rename opal_base_envlist as "-mca x var=val" for consistency.
> also, "-x" param now is just an alias for "-mca opal_base_envlist var=val" - so, we can keep it (w/o deprecation warning) as it re-uses same infra.

Mike, will you make this change?

Thanks,
-Dave