Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: Add an __attribute__((destructor)) function to opal
From: Paul Hargrove (phhargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-15 17:20:56

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 12:49 PM, Pritchard, Howard r <howardp_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> I don't think there's anything wrong with using ctor/dtors in shared
> libraries,
> but one does need to make sure that in these functions there's no
> assumptions
> about ordering of them wrt to other ctors/dtors.

The ELF specification is clear that the order of execution of DT_INIT and
DT_FINI entries is undefined.
The .ctors and .dtors sections typically used by the GNU toolchain are, I
believe, not part of any formal linker specification.
So, I agree w/ Howard that one must take care not to assume anything about
order.

-Paul

Future Technologies Group