Open MPI logo

Open MPI Development Mailing List Archives

  |   Home   |   Support   |   FAQ   |   all Development mailing list

Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: add STCI component to OMPI/RTE framework
From: Edgar Gabriel (gabriel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-29 11:23:09


sounds good to me too.

Edgar

On 5/29/2014 10:04 AM, Joshua Ladd wrote:
> +1 I'm interested in hearing more. RTE is of interest.
>
> Josh
>
>
> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:33 AM, Ralph Castain <rhc_at_[hidden]
> <mailto:rhc_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>
> +1 for me!
>
> On May 29, 2014, at 7:26 AM, Thomas Naughton <naughtont_at_[hidden]
> <mailto:naughtont_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks Jeff, I think that was a pretty good summary of things.
> >
> >> Thomas indicated there was no rush on the RFC; perhaps we can
> discuss this next-next-Tuesday (June 10)?
> >
> > Phone discussion seems like a good idea and June 10 sounds good to me.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --tjn
> >
> >
> _________________________________________________________________________
> > Thomas Naughton
> naughtont_at_[hidden] <mailto:naughtont_at_[hidden]>
> > Research Associate (865)
> 576-4184 <tel:%28865%29%20576-4184>
> >
> >
> > On Thu, 29 May 2014, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) wrote:
> >
> >> I refrained from speaking up on this thread because I was on
> travel, and I wanted to think a bit more about this before I said
> anything.
> >>
> >> Let me try to summarize the arguments that have been made so far...
> >>
> >> A. Things people seem to agree on:
> >>
> >> 1. Inclusion in trunk has no correlation to being included in a
> release
> >> 2. Prior examples of (effectively) single-organization components
> >>
> >> B. Reasons to have STCI/HPX/etc. components in SVN trunk:
> >>
> >> 1. Multiple organizations are asking (ORNL, UTK, UH)
> >> 2. Easier to develop/merge the STCI/HPX/etc. components over time
> >> 3. Find all alternate RTE components in one place (vs. multiple
> internet repos)
> >> 4. More examples of how to use the RTE framework
> >>
> >> C. Reasons not to have STCI/HPX/etc. components in the SVN trunk:
> >>
> >> 1. What is the (technical) gain is for being in the trunk?
> >> 2. Concerns about external release schedule pressure
> >> 3. Why have something on the trunk if it's not eventually
> destined for a release?
> >>
> >> In particular, I think B2 and C1 seem to be in conflict with each
> other.
> >>
> >> I have several thoughts about this topic, but I'm hesitant to
> continue this already lengthy thread on a contentious topic. I also
> don't want to spend the next 30 minutes writing a lengthy,
> carefully-worded email that will just spawn further lengthy,
> carefully-worded emails (each costing 15-30 minutes). Prior history
> has shown that we discuss and resolve issues much more rationally on
> the phone (vs. email hell).
> >>
> >> I would therefore like to discuss this on a weekly Tuesday call.
> >>
> >> Next week is bad because it's the MPI Forum meeting; I suspect
> that some -- but not all -- of us will not be on the Tuesday call
> because we'll be at the Forum.
> >>
> >> Thomas indicated there was no rush on the RFC; perhaps we can
> discuss this next-next-Tuesday (June 10)?
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> On May 27, 2014, at 12:25 PM, Thomas Naughton <naughtont_at_[hidden]
> <mailto:naughtont_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
> >>
> >>>
> >>> WHAT: add new component to ompi/rte framework
> >>>
> >>> WHY: because it will simplify our maintenance & provide an
> alt. reference
> >>>
> >>> WHEN: no rush, soon-ish? (June 12?)
> >>>
> >>> This is a component we currently maintain outside of the ompi
> tree to
> >>> support using OMPI with an alternate runtime system. This will also
> >>> provide an alternate component to ORTE, which was motivation for PMI
> >>> component in related RFC. We build/test nightly and it
> occasionally
> >>> catches ompi-rte abstraction violations, etc.
> >>>
> >>> Thomas
> >>>
> >>>
> _________________________________________________________________________
> >>> Thomas Naughton
> naughtont_at_[hidden] <mailto:naughtont_at_[hidden]>
> >>> Research Associate (865)
> 576-4184 <tel:%28865%29%20576-4184>
> >>>
> >>> _______________________________________________
> >>> devel mailing list
> >>> devel_at_[hidden] <mailto:devel_at_[hidden]>
> >>> Subscription: http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/devel
> >>> Link to this post:
> http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2014/05/14852.php
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jeff Squyres
> >> jsquyres_at_[hidden] <mailto:jsquyres_at_[hidden]>
> >> For corporate legal information go to:
> http://www.cisco.com/web/about/doing_business/legal/cri/
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> devel mailing list
> >> devel_at_[hidden] <mailto:devel_at_[hidden]>
> >> Subscription: http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/devel
> >> Link to this post:
> http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2014/05/14904.php
> >>
> > _______________________________________________
> > devel mailing list
> > devel_at_[hidden] <mailto:devel_at_[hidden]>
> > Subscription: http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/devel
> > Link to this post:
> http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2014/05/14905.php
>
> _______________________________________________
> devel mailing list
> devel_at_[hidden] <mailto:devel_at_[hidden]>
> Subscription: http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/devel
> Link to this post:
> http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2014/05/14906.php
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> devel mailing list
> devel_at_[hidden]
> Subscription: http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/devel
> Link to this post: http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2014/05/14907.php
>

-- 
Edgar Gabriel
Associate Professor
Parallel Software Technologies Lab      http://pstl.cs.uh.edu
Department of Computer Science          University of Houston
Philip G. Hoffman Hall, Room 524        Houston, TX-77204, USA
Tel: +1 (713) 743-3857                  Fax: +1 (713) 743-3335