Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: about dynamic/intercomm_create test from ibm test suite
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-28 10:10:03

On May 28, 2014, at 6:41 AM, Gilles Gouaillardet <gilles.gouaillardet_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Ralph,
>

> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 9:33 PM, Ralph Castain <rhc_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> This is definetly what happens : only some tasks call MPI_Comm_free()
>
> Really? I don't see how that can happen in loop_spawn - every process is clearly calling comm_free. Or are you referring to the intercomm_create test?
>
> yes, i am referring intercomm_create test

kewl - thanks

> about loop_spawn, i could not get any error on my single host single socket VM.
> (i tried --mca btl tcp,sm,self and --mca btl tcp,self)
>
> MPI_Finalize will end up calling ompi_dpm_dyn_finalize which causes the error message on the parent of intercomm_create.
> a necessary condition is ompi_comm_num_dyncomm > 1
> /* which by the way sounds odd to me, should it be 0 ? */

That does sound odd

> which imho cannot happen if all communicators have been freed
>
> can you detail your full mpirun command line, the number of servers you are using, the btl involved and the ompi release that can be used to reproduce the issue ?

Running on only one server, using the current head of the svn repo. My cluster only has Ethernet, and I let it freely choose the BTLs (so I imagine the candidates are sm,self,tcp,vader). The cmd line is really trivial:

mpirun -n 1 ./loop_spawn

I modified loop_spawn to only run 100 iterations as I am not patient enough to wait for 1000, and the number of iters isn't a factor so long as it is greater than 1. When the parent calls finalize, I get one of the following emitted for every iteration that was done:

dpm_base_disconnect_init: error -12 in isend to process 0

So in other words, the parent is attempting to isend to every child that was spawned during the test - it thinks that every comm_spawn'd process remains connected to it.

I'm wondering if the issue is that the parent and child are calling comm_free, but neither side called comm_disconnect. So unless comm_free is calling disconnect under-the-covers, it might explain why the parent thinks all the children are still present.