Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: about dynamic/intercomm_create test from ibm test suite
From: Gilles Gouaillardet (gilles.gouaillardet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-27 23:53:04

Ralph,

On 2014/05/28 12:10, Ralph Castain wrote:
> my understanding is that there are two ways of seeing things :
> a) the "R-way" : the problem is the parent should not try to communicate to already exited processes
> b) the "J-way" : the problem is the children should have waited either in MPI_Comm_free() or MPI_Finalize()
> I don't think you can use option (b) - we can't have the children lingering around for the parent to call finalize, if I'm understanding you correctly.
you understood me correctly.

once again, i did not start investigating loop_spawn.

in the case of intercomm_create, we would not run into this if the
application had explicitly called MPI_Comm_free in the parent.
so in this case *only*, and as explained by Jeff, b) could be an option
to make OpenMPI happy.
(to be blunt : if the user is not happy with children lingering around,
he can explicitly call MPI_Comm_free before calling MPI_Comm_disconnect)

i will start investigating loop_spawn from now

Cheers,

Gilles