Subject: [OMPI devel] RFC: Force Slurm to use PMI-1 unless PMI-2 is specifically requested
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-06 22:53:17

We have been seeing a lot of problems with the Slurm PMI-2 support (not in OMPI - it's the code in Slurm that is having problems). At this time, I'm unaware of any advantage in using PMI-2 over PMI-1 in Slurm - the scaling is equally poor, and PMI-2 does not supports any additional functionality.

I know that Cray PMI-2 has a definite advantage, so I'm proposing that we turn PMI-2 "off" when under Slurm unless the user specifically requests we use it.

Any opinions?
Ralph