Subject: [OMPI devel] MPI_Recv_init_null_c from intel test suite fails vs ompi trunk
From: Gilles Gouaillardet (gilles.gouaillardet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-04-24 00:14:01

Folks,

Here is attached an oversimplified version of the MPI_Recv_init_null_c
test from the
intel test suite.

the test works fine with v1.6, v1.7 and v1.8 branches but fails with the
trunk.

i wonder wether the bug is in OpenMPI or the test itself.

on one hand, we could consider there is a bug in OpenMPI :
status.MPI_SOURCE should be MPI_PROC_NULL since we explicitly posted a
recv request with MPI_PROC_NULL.

on the other hand, (mpi specs, chapter 3.7.3 and
https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/ticket/3475)
we could consider the returned value is not significant, and hence
MPI_Wait should return an
empty status (and empty status has source=MPI_ANY_SOURCE per the MPI specs).

for what it's worth, this test is a success with mpich (e.g.
status.MPI_SOURCE is MPI_PROC_NULL).

what is the correct interpretation of the MPI specs and what should be
done ?
(e.g. fix OpenMPI or fix/skip the test ?)

Cheers,

Gilles