Subject: [OMPI devel] RFC: Remove heterogeneous support
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-04-23 09:49:02

WHAT: Remove data-heterogeneous support from Open MPI

WHY: No one uses it (it's not the default), it's broken (probably has been for a while)

WHERE: Datatype engine, some configury, and a few other places

TIMEOUT: Tuesday teleconf, 6 May 2014 (i.e., 2 weeks from now)

MORE DETAIL:

It recently came to my attention that we seem to have some bit rot in the heterogeneous data representation support such that if you configure with --enable-heterogeneous, even if you run on homogeneous machines, you can get segv's with tcp,sm,self.

The heterogeneous support has never been enabled by default. AFAIK, only Cisco tests it regularly in its MTT. I'm be greatly surprised if many (any?) users use it at all.

So I have to ask myself: why do we keep this functionality around? It seems like we should delete this code, simplify things a little, and move on.

Comments?