Open MPI logo

Open MPI Development Mailing List Archives

  |   Home   |   Support   |   FAQ   |   all Development mailing list

Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] 1.7.4 status update
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-22 16:06:44


On Jan 22, 2014, at 12:57 PM, Rolf vandeVaart <rvandevaart_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi Ralph:
> In my opinion, we still try to get to a stable 1.7.4. I think we can just keep the bar high (as you said in the meeting) about what types of fixes need to get into 1.7.4. I have been telling folks 1.7.4 would be ready "really soon" so the idea of folding in 1.7.5 CMRs and delaying it is less desirable to me.

I generally agree, providing 1.7.4 can finally make it out someday :-(

>
> Can you remind me again about why the 1.8.0 by mid-March is a requirement?

We committed to Fedora and other OS packagers that we would provide a stable 1.8.0 by end of Q1 so they can include it in their next major release series

>
> Thanks,
> Rolf
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: devel [mailto:devel-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Ralph
>> Castain
>> Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:41 PM
>> To: Open MPI Developers
>> Subject: [OMPI devel] 1.7.4 status update
>>
>> Hi folks
>>
>> I think it is safe to say that we are not going to get a release candidate out
>> tonight - more Fortran problems have surfaced, along with the need to
>> complete the ROMIO review. I have therefore concluded we cannot release
>> 1.7.4 this week. This leaves us with a couple of options:
>>
>> 1. continue down this path, hopefully releasing 1.7.4 sometime next week,
>> followed by 1.7.5 in the latter half of Feb. The risk here is that any further
>> slippage in 1.7.4/5 means that we will not release it as we must roll 1.8.0 by
>> mid-March. I'm not too concerned about most of those cmr's as they could be
>> considered minor bug fixes and pushed to the 1.8 series, but it leaves
>> oshmem potentially pushed into 1.9.0.
>>
>> 2. "promote" all the 1.7.5 cmr's into 1.7.4 and just do a single release before
>> ending the series. This eases the immediate schedule crunch, but means we
>> will have to deal with all the bugs that surface when we destabilize the 1.7
>> branch again.
>>
>>
>> I'm open to suggestions. Please be prepared to discuss at next Tues telecon.
>> Ralph
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> devel mailing list
>> devel_at_[hidden]
>> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/devel
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
> confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
> is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by
> reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> devel mailing list
> devel_at_[hidden]
> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/devel