Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] 1.7.4rc1 install failure: NetBSD-6 amd64
From: Paul Hargrove (phhargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-14 12:28:10

I had only suggested gfrotran by name because it is available in both
source and binary form from the pkgsrc repo, and is the successor to g95
within the GCC project. I am fine with the "<some_other_compiler>" text.

-Paul

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 5:41 AM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) <jsquyres_at_[hidden]
> wrote:

> More tweaking -- I don't think there's an explicit reason to mention
> gfortran, is there?
>
> - On NetBSD-6 (at least AMD64 and i386), and possibly on OpenBSD,
> libtool misidentifies properties of f95/g95, leading to obscure
> compile-time failures if used to build Open MPI. You can work
> around this issue by ensuring that libtool will not use f95/g95
> (e.g., by specifying FC=<some_other_compiler>, or otherwise ensuring
> a different Fortran compiler will be found earlier in the path than
> f95/g95), or by disabling the Fortran MPI bindings with
> --disable-mpi-fortran.
>

> On Jan 14, 2014, at 8:15 AM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) <jsquyres_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 14, 2014, at 2:44 AM, Paul Hargrove <phhargrove_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> >> The problem surfaces on i386 too, and use of gfortran seems the best
> fix.
> >> My recommended rewrite:
> >>
> >> - On NetBSD-6 (at least AMD64 and i386) libtool misidentifies
> properties of
> >> f95/g95, leading to obscure compile-time failures if used to build
> Open MPI.
> >> You can work around this issue by either installing gfortran, removing
> f95
> >> and g95 from your path, or by configuring Open MPI to disable the
> fortran
> >> bindings.
> >
> > I tweaked a bit -- how's this:
> >
> > - On NetBSD-6 (at least AMD64 and i386), and possibly on OpenBSD,
> > libtool misidentifies properties of f95/g95, leading to obscure
> > compile-time failures if used to build Open MPI. You can work
> > around this issue by ensuring that libtool will not find f95/g95
> > (e.g., by specifying FC=gfortran, or otherwise ensuring gfortran
> > will be found earlier in the path than f95/g95), or by configuring
> > Open MPI to disable the Fortran MPI bindings.
> >
> > --
> > Jeff Squyres
> > jsquyres_at_[hidden]

> Jeff Squyres