Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] [EXTERNAL] RFC: async modex
From: Barrett, Brian W (bwbarre_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-13 15:05:16

Is there any place that this can actually be used? It's a fairly large
change to the RTE interface (which we should try to keep stable), and I
can't convince myself that it's useful; in general, if a BTL or MTL is
asking for a piece of data, the MPI library is stuck until that data's
available. I can see doing some lazy approach, but I can't see making the
modex_recv call non-blocking.

Brian

On 1/11/14 9:28 PM, "Ralph Castain" <rhc_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>NOTE: This will involve a change to the MPI-RTE interface
>
>WHAT: Modify modex_recv to add a callback function that will return the
>requested data when it is available
>
>WHY: Enable faster startup on large scale systems by eliminating the
>current mandatory modex barrier during MPI_Init
>
>HOW: The ompi_modex_recv functions will have callback function and
>(void*)cbdata arguments added to them.
> An ompi_modex_recv_t struct will be defined that includes a
>pointer to the returned data plus a "bool active"
> that can be used to detect when the data has been returned
>if blocking is required.
>
> When a modex_recv is issued, ORTE will check for the
>presence of the requested data and immediately
> issue a callback if the data is available. If the data is
>not available, then ORTE will request the data from
> the remote process, and execute the callback when the
>remote process returns it.
>
> The current behavior of a blocking modex barrier will
>remain the default - the new behavior will only take affect
> if specifically requested by the user via MCA param. With
>this new behavior, the current call to "modex" in
> MPI_Init will become a "no-op" when the processes are
>launched via mpirun - this will be executed in ORTE
> so that other RTEs that do not wish to support async modex
>behavior are not impacted.
>
>WHEN: No hurry on this as it is intended for 1.9, so let's say mid Feb.
>Info on a branch will be made available in
> the near future.

  Brian W. Barrett
  Scalable System Software Group
  Sandia National Laboratories