Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] trunk build failure on {Free,Net,Open}BSD
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-09 19:15:46

On Jan 9, 2014, at 5:51 PM, Paul Hargrove <phhargrove_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Nevermind that - I just recalled that test/util/opal_path_nfs.c is Linux-specific. So, there won't be any testing coverage of the new code on any of my Solaris or BSD systems. Nor will Mac OSX get any "real" testing.
>
> Does anybody have suggestions (assuming I can mount an NFS dir on each of my systems) as to how one might verify that the revised opal_path_nfs() is *correct* on the BSDs and Solaris?

I just updated the test/util/opal_path_nfs.c test as follows:

    On all platforms, if you provide one or more command line options,
    each command line option is given to opal_path_nfs() and the result
    is sent to stdout.

For example, if you build and run the test like this:

make check
./opal_path_nfs . Makefile ~

It'll report if ., Makefile, and ~ are on network filesystems (i.e., the result of sending each of ".", "Makefile", and "your_home_dir" to opal_path_nfs()).

> If there is no validation possible, then it might be safer for 1.7.4 to leave the no-op behavior. However, as far as I can tell opal_path_nfs() is currently used ONLY for by shmem/mmap to *warn* about mapping files on network filesystems. So, maybe this isn't critical at all.

Correct. Which is why a huge effort wasn't undertaken to automate it on non-Linux platforms. But I think adding the interactive tests for all platforms is helpful.

> I *will* make a point of NOT setting OMPI_MCA_shmem_mmap_enable_nfs_warning=0 as I normally do in my testing (thought I can't remember why I added that to my testing scripts in the first place). Then at least I might be able to tell if opal_path_nfs() is returning false positives.

Cool; thanks.