Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] trunk build failure on {Free,Net,Open}BSD
From: marco atzeri (marco.atzeri_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-09 02:44:41

Il 1/9/2014 5:10 AM, Ralph Castain ha scritto:
> Actually, as I look at it, the logic escapes me anyway. Basically, you
> only have two options - use the vfs struct for Sun, and use fs struct
> for everything else. I'm not aware of any other choice, and indeed the
> list of all the systems for the latter actually is intended to amount to
> "anything else".
>
> So I just changed it to an "else" statement in the trunk and scheduled
> it for 1.7.4 if it passes muster - see how this works for you.
>
> Ralph

Ralph,
please note that there are other similar cases in the same file

in "bool opal_path_nfs" function at row 434 and 462

the one at 489 is a multiple if with no default case,
so the code will fail to perform for any architecture
no reported there, like CYGWIN, and it is very hard to notice

In general this type of "ifdefined" around platform
are very bad for portability or platform evolution.
Adding a new platform will be a hell of work.

The Autoconf approach to portability "should be" to test
for features, not for versions or platform.

Regards
Marco