Subject: [OMPI devel] RFC: remove opal progress recursion depth counter
From: Nathan Hjelm (hjelmn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-18 18:23:18

What: Remove the opal_progress_recursion_depth_counter from
opal_progress.

Why: This counter adds two atomic adds to the critical path when
OPAL_HAVE_THREADS is set (which is the case for most builds). I grepped
through ompi, orte, and opal to find where this value was being used and
did not find anything either inside or outside opal_progress.

When: I want this change to go into 1.7.4 (if possible) so setting a
quick timeout for next Tuesday.

Let me know if there is a good reason to keep this counter and it will
be spared.

-Nathan Hjelm
HPC-5, LANL