Subject: [OMPI devel] RFC: move openib free list initialization to add procs
From: Nathan Hjelm (hjelmn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-16 13:49:22

What: Move the initialization of the openib btl's free lists from
btl_init to btl_add_procs.

Why: We are planning to always initialize the btls to support
oshmem. Since the openib btl always sets up its free lists, allocates
fragments, starts the async event thread, etc as part of btl_init we
will waste memory. This only happens when there is an mtl what supports
the same hardware (ex. mxm, psm). To alleviate this problem I am moving
the final part of device initialization to btl_add_procs.

When: This is intended for inclusion in the 1.7.5 release. I would like
mellanox to review this now but they may also review it for the
CMR. Setting the timeout to a week from today (Dec 23).

This will come into the trunk if there are no objections. So, if you see
a problem with the change say something now and DO NOT wait until we are
rolling 1.7.5 release candidates. I have tested the changes on LANL
systems with Mellanox and QLogic hardware and we see no issues with
performance.

Patch attached.

-Nathan Hjelm
Application Readiness, HPC-5, LANL