Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] [EXTERNAL] Re: Change request for include/mpif-config.h
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-04 09:28:44

FWIW, 1.7 also has the new MPI-3 "use mpi_f08" Fortran bindings, which are MUCH better than the old mpif.h and "use mpi" bindings.

If they care, you should strongly encourage users to "use mpi_f08" in new Fortran subroutines. Forward and backwards compatibility was a major design point for the mpi_f08 bindings; users can fully mix mpif.h, use mpi, and use mpi_f08 in the same Fortran application. For example, they can just use mpi_f08 when writing new code in their existing applications (where the rest of the old/legacy code still uses mpif.h and/or use mpi), etc.