Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] [EXTERNAL] Re: Change request for include/mpif-config.h
From: Gunter, David O (dog_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-04 09:21:29

Thanks for the feedback and info. I think we can install 1.7x for those users who don't want to deal with the warnings.

-david

--
David Gunter
HPC-3 PTools Team
On Dec 3, 2013, at 3:38 PM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) <jsquyres_at_[hidden]<mailto:jsquyres_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
You might want to double check that it doesn't break ABI - hypothetically, those are equivalent (I think), but I don't know what liberties the fortran compiler and linker is allowed to take with those different forms.
On Dec 3, 2013, at 5:37 PM, Nathan Hjelm <hjelmn_at_[hidden]<mailto:hjelmn_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
For general use we deploy only the super stable release. We do have 1.7.x in
friendly-testing on some machines.
David, I don't think that change will break ABI so it might be worth patching
before deploying. No further 1.6.x releases are planned.
-Nathan
On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 10:27:43PM +0000, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) wrote:
David --
Any possibility of upgrading to the v1.7 series?
On Nov 22, 2013, at 10:46 AM, "Barrett, Brian W" <bwbarre_at_[hidden]<mailto:bwbarre_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
David (Gunter) -
Which version of Open MPI are you using?  It looks like the 1.7 series
does not declare the internal version (GREEK / SVN) in the Fortran
headers, so this shouldn't be a problem going forward.
Brian
On 11/22/13 8:39 AM, "Dave Goodell (dgoodell)" <dgoodell_at_[hidden]<mailto:dgoodell_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
Jeff Squyres is usually our Fortran expert for this sort of issue, but
he's on vacation until after the Thanksgiving holiday in the US.  So
please expect a modest delay in (properly) responding to your question.
-Dave
On Nov 21, 2013, at 9:37 AM, "Gunter, David O" <dog_at_[hidden]<mailto:dog_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
We have a user complaining about warnings he is getting from his
Fortran 95 code.
The Intel compilers throw out this warning:
warning #7346: The CHARACTER* form of a CHARACTER declaration is an
obsolescent feature in Fortran 95.
The warning stems from the following two lines in <mpi
dir>/include/mpif-config.h:
  character*32 OMPI_GREEK_VERSION
  character*32 OMPI_SVN_VERSION
Can we simply change those lines to the following:
  character(len=32) OMPI_GREEK_VERSION
  character(len=32) OMPI_SVN_VERSION
What would break if that happened?
Thanks,