Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] SC13 birds of a feather
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-04 06:39:29

On Dec 3, 2013, at 7:54 PM, Christopher Samuel <samuel_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> 2. The MPI_T performance variables are new. There's only a few
>> created right now (e.g., in the Cisco usnic BTL). But the field
>> is pretty wide open here -- the infrastructure is there, but we're
>> really not exposing much information yet. There's lots that can
>> be done here.
>
> Would it make any sense to expose system/environmental/thermal
> information to the application via MPI_T ?

Hmm. Interesting idea.

Is the best way to grab such stuff via IPMI?

That might well be do-able, since there's no performance penalty for reading such values until you actually read the values (i.e., we don't actively monitor these values in OMPI's overall progression engine; they're only read when the application invokes an MPI_T read function).