Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: usnic BTL MPI_T pvar scheme
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-05 22:50:35

Hmm. "_enum" has possibilities.

How about using a * in the name, to represent where the match is? E.G., btl_usnic_*_enum?

It's a string, so it's not just limited to letters and underscores.

Sent from my phone. No type good.

On Nov 5, 2013, at 6:26 PM, "Paul Hargrove" <phhargrove_at_[hidden]<mailto:phhargrove_at_[hidden]>> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 6:00 PM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) <jsquyres_at_[hidden]<mailto:jsquyres_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
On Nov 5, 2013, at 2:54 PM, Paul Hargrove <phhargrove_at_[hidden]<mailto:phhargrove_at_[hidden]>> wrote:

> If this approach is to be adopted by other components (and perhaps other MPIs), then it would be important for the enumeration variable name to be derived in a UNIFORM way:
> <framework>_<component>_SOMETHING
> Without a fixed value for "SOMETHING" somebody will need to read sources (or documentation) to make the connection.

This is a good point; we got a similar piece of feedback from the MPI tools group.

Hmm... not sure how that jives with "principle of least astonishment".
Other than that "_SOMETHING" == "" seems like a solution that totally avoids the problems associated with words like "device" (which might imply something about h/w architecture) or "instance" (with potential implications regarding s/w architecture).

So, on balance: +0.9 (my other 0.1 goes to "_enum" for "principle of least astonishment".)

-Paul

--
Paul H. Hargrove                          PHHargrove_at_[hidden]<mailto:PHHargrove_at_[hidden]>
Future Technologies Group